Fundraising Apprentice & Marketing Assistant
Organisation: Sussex Cancer Fund
Location: Brighton, Sussex, UK
Duration: 18 Months
Hours of work – 30 hours per week including study time
Location – working mainly from the SCF office with some remote working also.
Reporting to: SCF Marketing Manager
About Sussex Cancer Fund:
We work together with the NHS to help make life better for cancer patients in Sussex – providing equipment and services that make a tangible difference for patients who are often on a difficult and stressful journey. We also selectively fund and enable Sussex based cancer research programs that contribute to the understanding of cancers and improved outcomes for patients.
Purpose of role:
The Sussex Cancer Fund is offering a Fundraising Apprenticeship together with the opportunity to gain valuable marketing experience. As a Fundraising Apprentice and Marketing Assistant, you will play a critical role in supporting the marketing and Fundraising team to achieve its strategic fundraising and marketing goals
Major areas of focus will be creating social media posts, arranging fundraising events, managing on line campaigns and engaging with actual and potential donors – individuals and organisations.
This apprenticeship is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to gain hands-on experience in the non-profit sector – whilst making a meaningful impact on the lives of cancer patients and their families and gaining a professional qualification in fundraising.
- Support and attend fundraising campaigns, events, and initiatives to raise funds for Sussex Cancer Fund.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of fundraising events, including charity walks, gala dinners, fairs and online campaigns.
- Engage with donors and supporters, providing excellent customer service and building strong relationships.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Manager and members of the Marketing and Fundraising team to develop and implement fundraising strategies.
- Help maintain accurate donor databases and records.
- Assist in the creation and dissemination of marketing materials, including brochures, newsletters, and social media content.
- Contribute to the development and execution of marketing campaigns to increase awareness of Sussex Cancer Fund.
- Manage social media platforms and create engaging and relevant content to promote the organisation’s mission and events.
- Conduct research to identify potential corporate partners and sponsors for the organisation.
- Monitor and analyse the performance of marketing efforts, making recommendations for improvements.
- Administrative Support:
- Provide general administrative support to the Marketing and Fundraising team, including data entry, filing, and scheduling.
- Maintain organised records of fundraising and marketing activities.
- Work closely with the SCF Volunteer Team
Fundraising Study Details – Run by the JGA Group who are based in West London, who received the Queen’s Award for Enterprise in 2021, with content developed by members of the Chartered Institute of Fundraising’s National Convention Committee. This is a Level 3 apprenticeship (also known as an advanced apprenticeship) and is generally considered to be equivalent to two A-level passes. There will be a Work Place Development plan constructed together with the successful candidate.
Online study modules with endpoint evaluation – content as follows:
- Introduction to fundraising; regulation, finance and ethical issues
- Fundraising audit: external and internal environment
- Managing supporter data: storing, insight and compliance
- Understanding donor motivations and behaviour
- Key components of a fundraising plan
- Developing a case for support and pitching
- Influencing stakeholders and creating a culture of fundraising
- Supporter care and stewardship
- Creating winning communications
- Budgeting, monitoring, evaluating and reporting
- Advanced presentation and professional dialogue skills
6 hours per week (out of the 30 hours) paid learning including 2 afternoons per month online with live interaction with other apprentices, monthly on-line interaction with a skills coach, self -directed learning including reading and preparation for modules and SCF related projects.
Qualifications / skills / personal qualities
- A passion for making a difference in the lives of cancer patients and their families.
- Energy and enthusiasm
- Level 2 GCSE English and Maths as a minimum.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management abilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and social media platforms.
- Ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Willingness to learn and take on new challenges
- Good knowledge of the various social media platforms used by all generations
- Practical experience in fundraising and marketing in the non-profit sector.
- Studying for a professional qualification in Fundraising
- Opportunity to work with a dedicated and passionate team.
- Support and guidance from experienced professionals.
- Competitive salary
- Travel expenses to fundraising events
- A chance to make a real impact on the lives of cancer patients in Sussex.
- Possibility of future employment or career advancement within the organisation – no
promises as this will depend on the contribution of the job holder and the circumstances of the SCF.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter explaining their motivation and suitability for the role to email@example.com Please include “Fundraising and Marketing Apprentice Application” in the subject line. The application deadline is 31/1/24
Sussex Cancer Fund is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse work environment. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.